What is Dallas ACAP?
Dallas ACAP (Accounting Career Awareness Program) is a one-week residency program for high school students (all grade levels) interested in a career in business. Held at Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas, TX, the program introduces students to accounting, finance, economics, and management through a focused, undergraduate-level program taught by college faculty and guest lecturers in business and government. During the week, students have the opportunity to attend classes on careers in accounting and business, personal development and college preparation and tour college campuses, local companies, and CPA firms. The program concludes with the students inviting their parent(s) or guardian(s) to a luncheon or banquet in commemoration of their completion of the program at the end of the week. Dallas ACAP began in June 2001.
Dallas ACAP 2016 will be held on the campus of SMU during the week June 12-17, 2016. See Calendar of Events.
On the national level, ACAP began in 1980 when NABA (the National Association of Black Accountants, Inc.) recognized the need for a program that would direct African-Americans and other minorities towards the accounting and finance professions. Recognizing that preparation for a professional career begins in junior and senior high school, NABA designed a pilot program that would be informative, yet go beyond words. The result was the development of an on-site, interactive enrichment program.
NABA's National Office is in Greenbelt, MD. Dallas ACAP is one of 20 ACAP chapters operating in various U.S. cities. See the list of other ACAP chapters at http://www.nabainc.org/acap.
What are the Goals and Benefits?
The primary objective of ACAP is to increase the understanding of accounting and business career opportunities among high school students from underrepresented ethnic groups.
There are educational and personal development benefits to attending ACAP. Some of the benefits include:
*Attend technical sessions to learn more about accounting and finance as a course of study
*Meet and hear from a panel of accounting and finance professionals from local accounting firms and corporations
*Participate in corporate visits and network with corporate executives
*Learn the requirements of becoming a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and the importance of having a CPA certification
*Network, make new friends and develop personal skills in a real-life college setting
*Join the ACAP Alumni Association to keep in contact with former ACAP students
Click on the following link for more information on a career in accounting.
What is the Success Rate?
Approximately 80% of Dallas ACAP students go on to college and major in accounting or other business-related disciplines. The other 20% are undecided or major in other disciplines. Click here for the student demographics over the years. See the Alumni page for other success stories.
What is the Cost?
Dallas ACAP is free to the students; however, we estimate the cost to approximate $1,100 per student. If you wish to financially support Dallas ACAP 2016 or future ACAP programs, please see the 2016 Dallas ACAP Corporate Prospectus and/or complete the Dallas ACAP Financial Support Form.
Is There More?
--Click here for ACAP 2015 Closing Banquet Program
--Click here for Dallas ACAP Flyer.
--Click here for an ACAP Presentation
Who are the Contacts?
Nora O'Garro serves as the Director of Dallas ACAP; Odell L. Brown, CIA, CPA, PHR serves as Executive Director of Dallas ACAP. Nora and Odell have been involved in Dallas ACAP's existence since its inception in June 2001.
Dallas ACAP Program Features